SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
BE SEEN. OPTIMIZE!
A great site is not so great if no one can find you on the Internet. There are many strategies for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and they are constantly evolving.
We focus on securing a good ranking for your website in the “natural” results. (These are the results that are listed without having to pay for exposure or clicks.) Natural search engine results primarily come from two main factors;
- Having a site that is rich in text that contains your target search terms.
- Fully describing your content in a way the search engines can understand.
- Links to your site from other sites popular in your industry.
- The amount of traffic to your site.
- The length of time a visitor stays on your site.
- How long your site has been listed.
Out of Nowhere offers many services that help with search engine placement.
- SEO Consultation Report - We review your current website and provide a detailed report of our findings and recommendations of suggested changes. The recommendations in the report are straight-forward but many of them will need to be reviewed and implemented by a web development company. If you order a SEO report from Out of Nowhere, we are available for hire to implement the changes recommended in the report.
- New website builds - We consider Search Engine Optimization first and last when developing new sites. Our design and development proposal to you will often include line items for copy writing for SEO purposes. Of course, the way we design the basic architecture of the website always considers how search engines will interface and index your site. During the design and planning process we advise you (as needed) on the positive and negative implications of the design elements or functionalities you want included in your web design.
- If you already have a website – We review your site and make suggestions for changes that have the best chance to positively impact your search engine ranking. Many times these changes are simple and inexpensive. Sometimes the changes that are needed are so extensive that a new web site build is recommended. We believe in empowering our clients, so we give you all the information about SEO in plain, easy to understand language so you can make an informed business decision.
- Popular Search Terms – Within some industries, we have learned that working for a good ranking in natural results only has limited results because the industry is so competitive (realtors, lawyers and gifts, as examples). New competitors take a long time to show up and usually don’t perform well no matter how well we optimize your site. If your industry is one of these types, then you should understand that no one can get you the natural results to compete effectively. The best use of your online marketing budget would be to advertise through a Pay-Per-Click (PPC) campaign.
- Pay for Placement (Pay-Per-Click) –This is where you pay every time someone clicks on your link in the search engine. How much you pay is determined by bidding for placement (the more you bid the higher you are ranked in the "sponsor" area of the search engine). At this time, Out of Nowhere does not implement and manage pay-per-click campaigns. However, we are happy to advise you on the pay-per-click (online Search Engine advertising) process and point you in the right direction to learn about it and to do it yourself. There are many SEO companies that offer pay-per-click campaign management but their services can be extremely expensive. If you have budget considerations, we recommend that you become familiar with Google AdWords and implement your own campaign.
About Search Engine Optimization:
The FIRST thing you need to know when considering SEO is what NOT to do. According to Google:
- Be wary of SEO firms and web consultants or agencies that send you email out of the blue.
- No one can guarantee a #1 ranking on Google.
- Be careful if a company is secretive or won't clearly explain what they intend to do.
- You should never have to link to an SEO company's website.
- Understand where your money goes.
- Don't allow your SEO company to use shadow domains.
Out of Nowhere’s SEO Strategy:
Unlike some of the unsavory and edgy SEO companies out there, we always explain our optimization strategies, in plain English. We use only ethical methods to make your web site perform at its best. We do not promise to make you number one in any search engine, but our experience is that many of our clients get top rankings by following our advice. Here are our methods to optimize your site:
Before we can optimize a web site, we need to make intelligent plans. The first step in site optimization is to determine exactly what are your best search terms. Spending some time researching this issue will save you lots of money. You want to use the terms that will get you visitors to your site, but not just any and all people! You want to focus on a few search terms (or a single term) that brings you only those potential customers that gain you the greatest profit. We call these terms your “target terms”.
The search engines look to the text on your web site to see what your business is all about. If you do not use your target terms in the text on your pages, then your site is not going to rank well for searches with those terms. It is that simple; you must use your search terms in the text on your site to get a good ranking. Not all text is ranked equally though, so intelligent placement and coding of the search terms is vital. We follow the rule of “first, biggest, most”. This means we use your target terms as some of the first text on the site. We make your target terms the headings, titles and large type. We also use your target terms as many times as we can, while keeping the copy very readable and professional. We don’t use invisible text or other hidden content.
A well designed web site needs to balance images with text. Whenever possible, we use text for web content and use images as necessary for design purposes. We always add code to the image tags, which tells the search engines what your images are about. What this means in plain English is that we are careful to code your target terms into your images to help boost your ranking.
Paying attention to the details is how we edge out your competition. Does your domain name promote your target terms? You may want to consider your target terms when selecting you domain name.
You may have heard that you need to have good meta-tags. Well, meta-tags are very meta 1990s. You money is best saved by NOT investing in the development of code that is now ignored by most search engines. We still use a few meta-tags, but none effect search engine ranking.
We include a sitemap.xml file on each website. Invisible to visitor, this file provides to the search engines a list and link to all the pages in your website. This greatly facilitates the search engines’ ability to index and list your site.
Popularity of a web site is a huge factor used by many of the search engines to determine placement. One factor of popularity is how many people link to your site. Quantity of links to your site alone doesn’t really matter if those links are from sites that have nothing to do with your business. Therefore, beware of SEO companies that create web sites just to create link popularity (such as shadow domains or doorway pages). You can increase the number of links to your site by requesting links from related websites, participating in social media networks, and providing widgets that other sites can use for their own site content.
Search engine optimization is not a “build it and forget it” type of operation. No one knows how a change to your site will affect your site’s ranking. You must watch your site traffic and bounce rate (rate of visitors that enter your site and leave without viewing another page) to know the effectiveness of your entire web market strategy. We suggest that you use Google Analytics. It works well and is free to use. We can set it up for you.
Don’t ignore or underestimate the value of traditional marketing materials such as business cards, flyers, brochures and other printed materials. A great way to drive traffic to your site is through these traditional and proven marketing strategies. Put your website address on every bit of material and communication you send to your potential and current customers.
Contact us about search engine optimization.